Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

My mom and dad were able to join us for a long holiday weekend.  We were busy the entire time they were here, it went by so quick.  We made a trip to the outlet mall (something I've been wanting to do for a while, but just me shopping with the girls is never very productive), played at the park, went to feed the ducks downtown Gahanna, swam in the backyard, went out for dinner and ice cream, and hung out at the neighbor's Memorial Day BBQ.  I love when our parents come to visit, because I can always do more with M and L than I can do on my own.  We played outside a lot, and it is so much easier with an extra set of eyes to watch them (and an extra set of legs to chase them).  Our neighbors gave us their son's big kiddie pool.  He has outgrown it, and the girls already loved being in it last summer.  Between the pool and the splash table the girls spent most afternoons submerged in water.  We also bought a clubhouse swingset that Chris is trying to finish up building.  We worked on it most of Sunday and Monday, but there are still some things left to do.  Hopefully it will be done next weekend.  M and L are already trying to climb on it.  One evening my parents took the girls and I to dinner.  First we took a loaf of bread to feed the ducks (turned out to be mostly greedy geese).  I had a goose chase me while I was on a run this spring, so I am a little terrified of them now.  I was a bit uncomfortable with how close they were coming to us, but my dad assured me we were bigger and stronger than them and not to worry.  Anyway, there were so many, and the kids loved it.  Maddie ended up eating the bread, so we left to grab a bite to eat.  We stopped by Cold Stone on the way back to the car for a sweet treat.  The girls LOVE ice cream.  You can see that Lena wanted some so badly she couldn't wait for Grandpa to give her a bite.  She stuck her face right in his bowl!

Maddie and Lena are really wanting to be independent.  They rarely want help with anything unless they are tired and cranky.  They want to completely feed themselves.  They want to drink out of a bottle or cup on their own- even though they end up soaking wet.  They try to climb everything.  They don't like to ride in the grocery cart.  They want to walk on their own and not hold hands.  This is a tough age for both mom and little ones.  I want to give them room to grow on their own, but they just don't understand when something is not safe.  We are still figuring each other out!

I meant to jot this down a while back.  When the girls look in the mirror, they say the other one's name.  I guess it probably is a little confusing to see your sister in the mirror.  Even they think they are identical!

3 comments:

kati said...

such cute pics. i never even thought how confusing it must be to figure out who they are looking at in the mirror! how sweet :)

mommy moorefield said...

I can't believe you were that close to the geese! The one that chased us is still in the same spot.

Cute pics. Can't wait to play on your swingset!

Andrea said...

Sounds like such a fun weekend with grandma and grandpa! I remember a duck pinning my mom and I up against a tree out at the park. Amelia doesn't like the loud honking ducks-she cries every time they come up. And by the way, I STILL can't tell the girls apart. However, if they can't tell themselves apart, I don't feel so bad! :)