Friday, April 23, 2010

My little trooper


This morning Lena, Maddie, and I were playing in the basement before we left for the gym. I noticed something on Lena's ear, and immediately assumed it was from breakfast. Both M and L love to wipe their food covered hands all over their heads, especially in their hair. I tried to brush it off, but no luck. After taking a closer look I realized it was a tick...gasp! Until today, I didn't realize how much ticks gross me out. I froze. I couldn't remember all of the suggested ways to get it off, and I couldn't remember how not to take it off either. I called my mom. (She is always so calm about everything, and I also think she knows the answer to everything. I would have never admitted that before about two years ago...shhhh, don't tell her.) After coming to the conclusion I need to keep many more items in our medicine cabinet, she instructed me to use finger nail polish remover- of course I have that- and tweezers. I tried to distract Lena with a toy while I held her between my legs. She must have known I was a bit freaked out, because she actually held pretty still (that alone is worth blogging about). My hands were shaking, but I got it off. Man, those things are sick little blood suckers! I flushed it down the toilet. I used to get grossed out by vomit, poop, pee, etc. before I was a mom, but I have grown immune to it. I guess as your kids grow, maybe you gain the "immune to insect gene"? Long story short, Lena never even knew the thing was on her, and it is long gone!

3 comments:

kati said...

OH. SICK. no, i don't think you get used to ticks. i about had a breakdown when we found a giant bloated one hanging off my dog's chin in ohio. i think i would pass out if i found one on my kid! good job, mama!

Kim said...

Whoa, super mom! I would have passed out. I hope that changes once I have kids. :)

Ellen said...

We always knew your Mom knew everything!